Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, January 7, 2013

Prosody

I had a section with the title "Strayhorn's Lorca." Then I changed it to "Billy Strayhorn's Lorca." I guess I didn't trust my readers to know Strayhorn. Then, the next day, I realized that the first title had much better prosody, so I changed it back. Three trochees in a row sound awful, but two have a nice feel. Yes, it is hard work to be me. It takes me 24 hours a day.

1 comment:

profacero said...

OK look. I have the goods on the question of the hours. One of our endowed chairs has been arrested! For activities which are in fact neither academic nor para-academic nor correctly cultural. Activities which surely cannot be counted as part of the 100, or the 80, or even the 60 hours!!!