Featured Post

Lilt: a theory of melody

A melody has to catch the ear. A lilt is an up and down movement that has to be asymmetrical or surprising in some way. It can go up, and ...

Monday, January 14, 2013

Funny

We know you can read.

I almost always bring a paper to read and also engage the audience by my extemporaneous wit as well. I never use powerpoint in a presentation, and the idea that that would be more dynamic is pretty silly. It is odd that we forget our performance skills at a conference==something we would never do in the classroom.

I often squirm impatiently during MLA-style talks. One commentator to the CHE story cite above makes a good point. Just if you pay enough attention to engaging your audience a little bit, you will be way ahead of most people. I am far from dynamic, but I have the reputation of giving rather dynamic presentation, just because of the weakness of the "competition."

1 comment:

profacero said...

Il a raison et il est amusant, mais il est innocent. People do do that to their classes, and I do know an academic who writes out all conversations in advance ... and it would not surprise me if at home as well.