Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Operation Razor's Edge

I saw this movie a few years ago about a highly elaborate spy operation done by the British in WWII. It had some fancy code name. I don't remember the name of the movie or the details of the spy operation or its name.

So I had the idea of creation my own top secret operation of self-improvement. I want go into all the details now, since some aspects must remain secret, but I called it "Operation Razor's Edge."

Some of it has been achieved. I'm taking voice and piano lessons, have begun to record music. I had the goal of running 5k in under 30 minutes, which I achieved once but now have to re-achieve since I am clocking in at about 33. I have a contract for LORCA II, so I've done that. I have financial, professional, and personal and health goals listed in this top secret document.

Someone said that if you reveal your goals to others you are less likely to achieve them, since others' approval might give you a false sense of accomplishment.

I firmly believe in the destination, not the journey. I'll explain that a little later. My thinking, in brief, is that this excessive emphasis on process and not product prevents us from ever getting anywhere. Of course, the goals are not achieved quickly and the process of working toward them is enjoyable...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is also why I like books without acknowledgments except for obligatory ones like permissions, funding. People tell their life stories in the acknowledgments and I don't want to know. I'd rather just have a mysterious dedication "To A." or something like that.

Everyone has always said I was too goal oriented. They assumed that being goal oriented meant one could not enjoy process. I really do not think that is true and I also find things aren't sharp enough if you are not trying to actually make something (and make it seriously), finish it.