Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, October 11, 2018

A Dream of Sestina Gin

There was a bottle of gin on the table of a bar. My daughter had ordered it and I had a beer. The gin bottle had a chart of which particular gin was in each layer of the bottle, and the arrangement of the six gins followed the pattern of the poetic form known as the sestina. Except that it was inexact: I found an error in the second "stanza" of the bottle. My daughter poured me a small shot of the gin into a tall glass, since I hadn't ordered this especially poetic gin. It tasted like ordinary gin to me. As I was waking up I couldn't figure out if the gin was all mingled together (in which case the sestina form was kind of otiose), or whether somehow the bottle itself was divided into discrete layers.

5 comments:

Leslie B. said...

What do you think it means?

Jonathan said...

Alchohol and poetry. I have a group that goes out every Thursday for drinks; we are the poetini (poets + martinis). Lately the group has had a hard time getting together.

Leslie B. said...

Right, but those are just the elements you are using in the dream. I suppose it could just be a product of thinking about the group, not have deeper meaning than that, but it seems so clever and multilayered.

Does the group have six people?

Jonathan said...

We are about 6 on a typical night.

Leslie B. said...

I know you can figure this dream out, and will be interested to see what you find...