Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, October 1, 2018

The Big Lie

The big lie I used to tell myself was that I am not "musical." Never mind being obsessed with music for my entire life, but of course I am not a skilled performer on any instrument, or singing, and other family members have more skill and / or knowledge than I do, so I am not the musician of the family, and never will be.

****

First rule: don't be a dilettante.

Second rule: don't let your fear of being a dilettante prevent you from doing what you know you ought to do.





2 comments:

Vance Maverick said...

This is one I've had to work on. It's been difficult to bring myself to say "I'm a composer" without embarrassment or qualification. Lately I've been realizing that, in talking to performers, I have to identify myself that way for practical reasons -- they will take me at my word if I imply that I can't write stuff that's worth their time. So even if I don't believe it, I need to force myself to say it anyway, which is salutary.

Jonathan said...

I'll try to say "I am a composer" someday. It doesn't feel right yet.