Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Love Letters from God

This guy Ladinsky who does the fake Hafez translations, translating apocryphally from texts that don't exist, also has a book called Love Letters from God, in which he combines some fake Hafez with some fake Santa Teresa and San Juan, Rumi, etc...  It is so obviously fake that it will attribute to some medieval mystic the idea that someone needs "professional help" in the Oprah-era, new age sense of the term. The anachronisms in themselves are hilarious. Every poem is centered on the page in a ridiculous way.

I downloaded it to my kindle just because I needed to see how bad it really was. I don't think there is anything to be done about this, because there is no law being broken that I can tell, not even violation of intellectual property. I am sure there is cultural appropriation galore, but that is a dubious concept because nobody owns a culture. I'm sure I should save my outrage for better things, but this guy should get what's coming to him, whatever that is. I can't even imagine a fit punishment since I do not advocate violence.

No comments: