Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Ornithology

 I was reading some poems by Mary Oliver. I downloaded a free sample on kindle. Not my favorite poet, as you know, but I had not remembered just how bad it was. So here is my latest bad poem, inspired directly by her sympathy for the natural world. 


Does the bluebird

offer us food

for thought?


No, that is regurgitated

worm for

her bird babies.


Do the starlings 

invading my balcony 

alert us to a more alert way


of being in the world?

No, they don't give

a fuck about me.  


Does the hawk circling

the chicken yard

give me a new poem to write.


No. What kind of stupid

do you think I am?

Does a rock feel sorry for itself?





2 comments:

Leslie B. said...

They have Mary Oliver's stuff all over Dad's retirement home walls and it seems to correspond to the world of the social workers, not the residents, who to judge by what they carry around have more sophisticated tastes.

Phaedrus said...

When I lasted visited Manhattan, a year ago August, I stayed at a beautiful hotel, The Excelsior (next to the Museum of Natural History). Next to my bed was Mary Oliver's Collected Poems. I was puzzled. Give me the Collected Dorothy Parker (this would have been an excellent place to discover Eileen Myles!) - we're in New York! I remembered your assessment of Oliver and dove in anyway, but couldn't stay long with it long. The poems seemed ... servile.