Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

AG

 Amanda Gorman signed with a top modeling agency. Her books are best sellers, now, even the ones that haven't actually been released yet. She was offered a job as poet in residence by a college president. The media adore her. Poets and professors of English and Spanish on Facebook are praising her. One person on FB was protesting vociferously about negative opinions of her, but I saw nothing at all of this kind on my FB feed. At worst a few opinions that the poem wasn't very good "on the page," but with the caveat that it was great read aloud, and that it is *hard* to write occasional poetry.  A lot of the sentiment that it is good that people are finally paying attention to *poetry.*. 

It strikes me that we don't treat any other art form like this, with this variety of infantilizing condescension. I'm going to have to give up writing bad poetry now... 


No comments: