Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, January 16, 2021

Song cycles

 Composite of song-cycles:  written by men, sung mostly by women. Lots of children's songs, and other songs from Canciones. Very short poems on the whole. Texts mostly in original Spanish. Link between childlike sensibility and folkloric, neopopular aspects of Lorca. 

On one record, songs with texts from the popular tradition are mislabeled as Lorca songs.  "De Cádiz a Gilbraltar."  [García Leoz].  

The fear of missing something. My answer: I will miss something. Since my approach is selective, it shouldn't matter. I guess if Stravinsky or Bartok had a Lorca setting I missed that would be bad. 

No comments: