Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Chromatic

I am a addicted to certain kinds of sonority and tone colors. I guess what I try to do is to make the music sound chromatic, but using mostly the notes of a diatonic scale. I decided to stop worrying that all my songs sound similar, since I am only writing for my own amusement anyway. I am impressed that I can do it at all.

***

I am writing this new song and Ab, with the Bridge a fourth up, in Db. At that point I will know most of the flat keys (F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db...) and all the accompanying chords that go along with those keys. I used to wonder how a key could have six flats if there are only five black notes on the piano. I still wonder that. I guess I know how it happens, but it still seems odd. But any way, Db, with five flats, will basically give me command of the entire keyboard, so I won't worry about Gb /F# for now.

***

No comments: