Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, February 8, 2016

Learning a new key

I taught myself a new key today, Db, with five flats. When I learn a new key what I do is to figure out the major 7 tonic chord, then go and figure out what each of the other six chords will be for that key. I tried to learn Gb yesterday, but it was difficult because I didn't know Db well enough. D flat is a very warm key that I like a lot. It gives me knew ideas to play in that key, and I came up with a nice sounding melody this morning.

Every key, following the circle of fourths or fifths, will have one different note, so learning a key that is a fourth or fifth from a key you already know will be easy because a lot of it will be the same.

No comments: