Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Friday, April 15, 2016

9ths

I realized that I have tended, from my earliest songs, to make the main melody notes the 9th degree of the chord. So if I start the song on D min, say, the note will be an E. This might be why all my songs have the same distinctive tonality to them. It's kind of a cheap trick, but I'll take it.

I was reading a book about Duke Ellington that emphasized his use of color. It is called The Ellington Century by David Schiff. I recommend it. I am increasingly drawn to music that has that visual, chromatic quality to it. Ellington and Strayhorn, Bill Evans & Gil Evans. Of course, everything has a color, even non-chromatic music. That color is just different.

No comments: