Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

There was a time

There was a time in college where I had what I thought were very good ideas, but I struggled to formulate and express them. Writing itself was arduous. I often got A minuses, in English classes, especially, whereas in every other class I would get an A or A+. I definitely had a vision that I wanted to articulate, but I didn't identify very much with the way literature was taught. I'm sure the profs were correct in not thinking these papers were extraordinary.

In Grad school I still struggled, but now I could articulate my ideas in a way that other people thought was good. After that I simply knew what I was doing and did it.

So the formative stage was the first two years of grad school.

No comments: