Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Branford

I saw Branford tonight. The reaction of my companion: this music is more fun for the performers than for the audience. My reaction: there were a lot of scales played up and down, but the solos did not tell a story.

I enjoyed the concert, because the level of musicianship was super high. Yet I know why people don't like jazz. That story telling aspect is missing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is it about the Marsalises that leaves me cold?

Jonathan said...

Everything

Phaedrus said...

I never get the point listening to Winton and Branford.

This morning I heard a version of Merle Haggard's "Sing Me Back Home" by Keith Richards (accompanying himself on the piano). There is no virtuosity, but there are musical and lyrical points, beautifully made. Goose bumps.

The song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54PLkvWDpNA

BTW - I *love* your companion's remark, and hope to recycle it soon!