Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Translation Workshop Update

My workshop is going incredibly well. The students are doing what I ask and the results justify my methods, and making me a smarter person too just by studying with me.

My newest idea is that you might want to hear the translation in your head as a melody before you write it. That will be the basis of assignment four, which is going to be a translation of the poem into something cantabile.


The next time is going to be more formal. I want to give it as an online class through the university, and there will be tuition money involved. Or maybe not. I think I could give it again just on the side, if I had more students. It is a lot of work, and each student adds work, but I also think if what I'm offered is valuable it should have a recompense.

1 comment:

Phaedrus said...

It has been a great experience, on many fronts. I'm thinking about translation in a host of new ways - and poetry itself in new ways, too. I've been reading a ton of authors I'd never read in the original French before. And the assignments have been delightful and challenging. (I'm a day or so away from my "No Look" translation!)