Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Monday, July 11, 2016

Bass (ii)

I realize that bass lines use the root and the fifth quite a bit. So all of sudden, without having played very much bass, I start hearing those lines with a bit more clarity, just by intending to play it. And, what should have been obvious: the piano doesn't have to play the root and the fifth very much, because the bass has that part covered, so the piano concentrates on the third and the seventh.

***

A voice in my head says: your songs rely on easy harmonic and rhythmic tricks, and they all sound similar to one another. I answer this voice by saying, well, I am a hobbyist, but honestly I don't feel my songs are inferior to those of anyone, except Cole Porter, Harold Arlen, George Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Richard Rodgers, and about three dozen other songwriters.

No comments: