Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Beef Stew

I took a pound and a half of chuck steak, trimmed the fat and dredged it in flour and a small amount of salt. I browned it in a cast-iron dutch oven and then deglazed the bottom of the pan with half a bottle of red wine and a can of beef broth. I added the other ingredients: four carrots, three potatoes, three large chopped onions, a dash of worstershire sauce, two bay leaves, a dash of cayenne, and a T of tomato paste.  I put this in a 300 degree oven for three hours. Then I transferred most of the broth to a sauce pan that had flour dissolved in water in it, and made a thick gravy out of it. The trick, I think, was using a lot of onions and wine.  The dish was very flavorful without being over salted.

No comments: