Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Songwriter

My goal is to retire at 67 (in 11 years) to be a songwriter.  That will be my new profession, and I am planning to do it without any expectation of earning money at it, but treating is as my second profession. So between then and now I have to simply learn how to use the software, how to sing play well enough to convey my compositional ideas with some elegance (eloquence), how to be a disciplined lyric writer, and that's about it.

***

I don't have to write more books of literary criticism after I retire.  I''ll have said what I needed to say.  If not, too bad.  The world will survive. Well, it might not, but it will not because I didn't write another book on Lorca.  Lorca: The Decentered Subject, will be the last of six books I "need" to write.

***

After a conversation in my tertulia I decided to can the subtitle.  My fifth book will be What Lorca Knew, with no colon and no subtitle.  Because I can.

No comments: