Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Earthquake

My heater clicked on in the night. Soon I heard a wind blow very loudly, or maybe something was shaking the bed. I was convinced it was an earthquake, because the shaking was very intense.

I verified it with my mother in the morning, but that was another dream, since I was not at her house in California but here in Kansas.  In  this segment of the dream sequence, my sister had taken to calling everyone "Tom." Since she suffers from a dementia affecting language, this seemed very real as well.  

When I woke up in the real Kansas morning, I still didn't know whether there had actually been a quake, so I had to check the news.  Alas, it was dream. The real element in all this was the sound of the heater.  

No comments: