Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Workshop

I had the students in the workshop bring in examples of good prose. They ended up giving me almost random paragraphs of standard academic prose, without any special distinction, and some of them even badly written or just dull. I don't see how they could aspire to write well if they don't even have a concept of style at all. I would say it's strange, but it isn't really.  

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I can relate to this. Let's make an anthology of actually good academic writing in a variety of styles. I.e., "good" but for different reasons. Then tell them to pick a paragraph or two that they like and make them explain why.

I don't think they know where to begin to look for something they like to read. They don't expect to find anything at all.