Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Blue Note Latin

My smart tv has my apple music connected to it. It gave me a playlist of Blue Note Latin music, essentially Bobby Hutcherson and the like with any song that happens to have a Latin time feel. The combination of avant-garde jazz and Latin jazz really satisfies me by giving me the best of two things I already like, all together. Today was the first time I made this connection: Latin jazz with vibraphone: Cal Tjader, Tito Puente, Bobby Hutcherson. There is something very appropriate about vibes for the Latin beat.  

We think of Puente as salsa musician, but he started off as jazz drummer and went to Julliard after the war. He's about the same age as Tjader, twenty years older than Hutcherson and Gary Burton. 

No comments: