Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, March 22, 2021

Deep Reading

 Here are some low tech practices of deep reading. I'm sure there are more, or variations of these ideas. 

1) Close reading, or analysis, is one form of deep reading, but not the only one. It tends to be the only one common in academic practice. I emphasize deep over close because I think sometimes analysis can get banal or unimaginative. 

2) Memorization. I once memorized most of Samuel Beckett's short novel Ill seen, ill said.  Memorization is a way of internalizing the text, making it one's own. 

3) Making a glossary or dictionary, as Jiménez Heffernan has done with some books by Gamoneda.

4) Translation. 

5) Song setting. 

6) Immersive reading: reading all of an author / going to school with that author.

7) Reading everyone who has influenced a given writer. I can't be the only one who read Henry Green because Ashbery was into him. 

8) Imitation, parody. Write your own Borges story. 

No comments: