Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, March 25, 2021

Steve Reich

 I've always liked Reich's Drumming.  A little while ago I realized that I had heard nothing else by him, so I listened to several other compositions. My general impression was that other compositions were similar, and didn't expand me musically beyond what I had heard in his one of his most famous works. I'm sure I'm wrong from the point of view of a real aficionado. Someone would come and argue that his work has other facets I am not hearing. It doesn't diminish my love for Drumming, either.  If that's all he did, that would be more than most people. 

5 comments:

Vance Maverick said...

I think many of us imprint on the first Reich we hear, then the other pieces sound too similar. I remain hugely impressed by "Music for 18 Musicians", less so by other big pieces. I've enjoyed some early, nearly conceptual numbers like "Marimba Phase" in concert.

Jonathan said...

I don't dislike the other Reich pieces I've heard. I just think they don't add unforeseen directions. If I had heard another one first, that might have been the one for me.

Vance Maverick said...

Yup. Perhaps surprisingly, Glass turned out to have more strings to his bow.

I've officially completed my opera version of Yeats's "At the Hawk's Well." (From which you heard an excerpt.) Of course, completion doesn't mean a whole lot without performance (which would undoubtedly mean revision), but hey, the whole thing is now in one PDF vocal score.

Jonathan said...

I like Einstein on the Beach. Congrats on the opera version. I would be nice to hear it all.

Vance Maverick said...

Thanks, time to start submitting to calls for scores, etc.