Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Dreaded Diversity Statement

 I had to write a diversity statement. I think it will be ok. I didn't think I had much to say, but I wrote 800 words at a single sitting. 

Here is my philosophy:  don't be an asshole. (I didn't use those words!).  But in a negative sense, you refrain from doing certain things. But that isn't enough. 

So my second idea is: help people, especially through mentoring. 

So what I don't do: reflect on my privilege, talk about the fact that our university stands on native ground. 


1 comment:

Leslie B. said...

I have been considering inequality since the moment I began to acquire language, as there were two languages, and one was more prestigious than the other, although the only Nobel Prize winners I had met in person spoke the non-prestigious language. This, as you will point out, is privilege.

I could go sickeningly on. I wrote a diversity statement for the Fulbright people in 1990 or so, before it was in fashion, and it took a full day, and I was so irritated by it.