Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, October 25, 2021

You know / you know

 Someone on facebook posted a link to a recent lecture on Olson. So I watched it, and it was horrible. The speaker was rambling and inarticulate, constantly saying "you know" and 'um." I don't think he even knows he says "you know" every other sentence. There was no central point or organizing principle. At one juncture the lecturer read aloud another short text he had written, receiving applause from the audience. They were probably relieved to hear complete sentences. This was not some inarticulate teenager, but someone older than I am, and quite well known.    

Some interesting points emerged sporadically. Being a nice guy, maybe, I didn't post my objections to this style of lecturing on facebook. I wanted to say something like, "I feel sorry for his students."  

I'm sure I use conversational fillers too, but I try not to do it too much. 

No comments: