Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, December 6, 2014

As I near completion...

As I near completion of book 5 I wonder what is next. Ideally I should just spend a year reading Latin American poetry. That was my plan at one point. I could write a third Lorca book, but that's not appealing right now. I do want to, but I need to put some space between it and the other two, so that it will have its own identity. I have another article / book started on poetry translation. It will be the definitive book on this subject if I do it right. I don't know... This is definitely a problem that is not really a problem at all. I have absolute freedom.

The idea of reading Latin American poetry for a year will lead to other things I can't foresee now. I feel like I could be a legit scholar in this field simply by reading for a year and then starting to write articles the following year. I know the canon of Paz, Borges, Neruda, Vallejo, Lezama, Parra, and some major national figures like Varela, Milán, Montejo, Bracho, Gelman... and some personal favorites. I could just fill in the gaps. In fact, I seem to remember already doing some of this. Before Lorca sucked me in again.



4 comments:

Tanya Golash-Boza said...

I am having similar thoughts, after having just wrapped up a major book project. For the first time in a decade, I have no book project to work on.

My plan for now is to work on articles from data that didn't make it into the book. I also plan to start reading for my next projects.

It's a good place to be in but I do feel as If I have less direction since I don't have a clear plan for my next steps.

Anonymous said...

I have decided you should join the Vallejo gang. MLA 2016 Austin is brewing for that, by the way. There is a lot happening generally and needed are people who speak more Spanish than some of the English speaking smart critics, and are a little less up tight than some British individuals. He is same age as Lorca and another fractured subject, so this is a no brainer once you start to think about it. Then there are all the Vallejo adaptations. You have practice with all these isues and could conceivably do some good.

Jonathan said...

Let's organize something for Austin '16. I will join the gang. Where do I sign up?

Anonymous said...

Bloody hell, I just explained it all and Blogger ate my comment. Call me or email me. There are 2 panels brewing but people left out and we need a third. That would be where you fit in. Foreigners involved so the actual submitters must speak English. Principals Alan Smith Soto (Brown and Anales Galdosianos, you probably know him), J. Ortega, Steve Hart. Other people from abroad. Concept is NEW work on Vallejo and NEW people breaking into Vallejo, and most importantly FUN Vallejo. No papers on cholos tristes allowed.