Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, January 18, 2016

Individuality

This might be behind paywall but it is an interesting read. I found myself distrusting it, but it is short on specifics. I suspect a nefarious hidden agenda. There seems to be an advocacy for a kind of education in which the student gains micro-certificates for very narrowly defined skills.

How can you be against something like individuality? Yet training in any specific thing requires you to train, in that thing. Specifically. Individuality can only emerge from rigorous training; it doesn't precede it. Think of how the beginning poet will write in the least original way: either simplistic rhyme or something that doesn't have anything to do with poetry at all.

The good points the article makes should be made better. I like the idea of the jaggedness of individual difference, for example. What is missing it that a lot of students just are unmotivated, and there is no individuality there to hold on to.

No comments: