Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, January 29, 2016

Peeve

Here's a common grammar peeve. People who say that you shouldn't use "that" as relative pronoun with people, where "who" would be more appropriate. To which I say:

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."

It was argued to me that this usage is imprecise, because that implied a non-human antecedent. But that is not really true is it? After all, there is no confusion caused. It was argued that the usage was ugly or crude. I disagree, but that's an aesthetic preference. To me it has a slightly archaic flavor.

You can find this usage in titles of songs and movies and books.

No comments: