Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Friday, January 17, 2020

What I've been reading

The last three books I read were a book on insight meditation, by Joseph Goldstein and Jack Kornfield, a book on raising special needs children, by my cousin Ann Ellsworth, and a textbook on music composition. I've also peered into some books by Lawrence Kramer on music and meaning and a book on Luigi Nono, just to see if it deals with Lorca, and Artistotle's Poetics, and I read a book ms. on Lorca for a press.

Think of the complexity of cognitive activity involved in thinking about everything that goes into this.

***

The music composition book talks about two flaws in a composition, "holes" and "bumps." Holes happen when the music is inert when it shouldn't be, while bumps are things that call attention to themselves in a bad way. I like these metaphors and want to use them.

No comments: