Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, February 4, 2023

dreams

 There were some thick, complex chords made of "top" and "bottom" parts, but mismatched or condensed or accelerated somehow. 

***

We were vacationing with other people; somehow I had paid $3,500 toward a school for one of these other people's kid. I was somewhat unhappy with this, but had somehow committed to paying this, as part of the price of the vacation.  

***

Real life: had been thinking about a lecture by Herbie Hancock. He said Miles had told him not to play the "butter notes." HH interprets that as the 3rd and the 7th.  I was thinking, yes, but I want to play the butter notes, because they sound good. I can't be only playing 9th and sharp 11!  Avoiding the obvious, the butter notes, is fine for someone of Herbie Hancock's talent, but not for me. Most jazz is kind of abstract for most listeners anyway, and many solos are pointless technical exercises in going up and down a scale, rather than "telling a story," in the Lester Young mode.  

Then, at night, I see a post on facebook talking about this very remark by Hancock.  I compose a response to it, then I notice that the original post is from 2014 so I don't post my comment after all.  

No comments: