Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, February 11, 2023

Teaching dream

 I was teaching a novel by Soledad Puértolas.  I was having difficulty controlling the class, but I heard some student discuss some relevant points in their small groups, so I tried to get them to tell me what social critique the novel was making. I had in mind something like this: a male character with long hair who thought of himself as progressive but an arrogant prick, dismissing the views of the female characters. The students couldn't come up with much, and one said they all were afraid to speak because others might criticize them for their views. I tried to dismiss their concerns by giving some examples from the book, like the example of this character.  (There is no character exactly like this in her novels; this was just what I could come up with in my dream.)  

No comments: