Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Good / Bad

I've decided to structure my book on writing poems in two parts: good poetry and bad.

In the first part, I will talk about how to write poems that are good. My idea is that everyone agrees that a good poem has musicality, concrete images, etc... This is not true, but I think I ought to write about how to compose poems that everyone ought to say are "good." So much poetry fails simply because it doesn't do this.  I'm pretending there is a consensus here, of course, where there's not.  That is part of the fun.  

In the bad poetry section, I will tell you how to write bad poems. Not truly bad poems, but ones that have an oblique or contrary relationship to the aesthetic ideals of good poetry. There is a difference between poems that try to be good and simply fail, and those that have a savvy relationship to both good and bad aesthetics.

So a reader can decide to work with both / either.  

No comments: