Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

You Condescended to me for Years

You condescended to me for years

explaining to me the simplest things as though I were some kind of idiot

If you had any imagination you would have appointed me Inspector of Chickens, like Borges

but you lacked the wit even for that, I suppose

You swooned to the Rilkean excesses of my colleagues

You named buildings after mass murderers

and filled fútbol stadia with the Spectacles of Kitsch

In such a climate I could only be a non-entity

Invisible in my own continent

Though recognized in the North as a voice significant as McKuen or Bukowski


No comments: