Featured Post

I love theory

I mean music theory, here. It is funny that what goes by the name music theory would be, in literature, the equivalent of prosody and plot c...

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Machado (ii)

I'm discovering some of the richness of response to Machado that I found with Lorca, with some overlap among the translators of the two. This cannot be a book just on Machado, but I have too much to say about Machado (after 4 days!) to be an 8,000 article. I think I will have a chapter on Quevedo and Vallejo, another one a refutation of Venuti and revindication of Pound. I think a scolding of Rothenberg's Lorca suites is in order, but I don't want to single him out.  I'm thinking about the failure of modernist translation. In other words, good poets who ought to know better who produce translations that betray basic principles.

I could have another chapter on different things I've found out about translation: the wisdom of crowds, etc... Yes, I can write this book.

No comments: