Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, November 17, 2018

Coltrane changes

So I'm exploring these chord changes.  The idea is to go down tonal centers by major thirds. So play a  "ii V I" in A, then in F, then in Db.  Down another third gets you to A again, so it's cyclical. Typically, played very fast, as in "Giant Steps."  My idea is to slow it down and make that the structure itself, take just one part of it as the intro to a piece with a different set of chord changes. Here I go

G- / C7 / F // Eb- / D7 / Db...   Then my setting of two Niedecker poems---eventually to be 4. As usual, please excuse the singing and the various stumbles.  I didn't have time to record it over and over until it was free from those.

No comments: