Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, May 15, 2021

Non-linear

 A week ago, I drew a hand very hastily and badly. In frustration, I quit for a week. I started again today, and drew one about as good as the day before my bad attempt. Progress is not linear. It may be that I make no progress at all in a year, or that I already know how to draw the hand, but have to learn to get out of my way by not hurrying the process: making a drawing too hastily in the self-sabatoging belief I cannot do it.  

1 comment:

Thomas Basbøll said...

"...making a drawing too hastily in the self-sabatoging belief I cannot do it."

That's a key point. It affects all the things we'd like to do better — drawing, playing the piano, and of course writing. We rush it because we don't want to experience ourselves doing it badly. Cyril Connolly called this "vanity".

I'm at this stage both with my hands and my writing these days. I have to slow down and dwell with my limitations.