Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, May 3, 2021

Some blunt pretense to safety we have

 Someone asked one of our zen teachers about "safety" and he replied that there is not such thing. I won't tell you his full response, but it brought to mind the concluding lines from Ashbery's "Pantoum" 


Some blunt pretense to safety we have

eyes shining without mystery 

for they must have motion

through the vague snow of many clay pipes


I've always been fascinated by this poem, the way it makes vagueness, bluntness, and the absence of mystery into something mysterious after all.  A lesser poet would write "eyes shining with mystery." None of the lines give us anything graspable.  



1 comment:

Andrew Shields said...

Nice summary of an effect that Ashbery produces often – how the vague, blunt, and plain becomes precise, subtle, and mysterious!