Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Idea

After a job candidate talk yesterday, I asked a question. From this question and the job candidate's talk, my colleague Vicky U arrived at the topic what she said will be her last seminar at KU: avant-garde and the city in Latin American Literature. That was kind of a cool thing to have happen. I do try to ask really good questions after a talk.

1 comment:

Andrew Shields said...

Advice I give to my students: at every lecture you attend, formulate a question. You don't necessarily have to ask it, but thinking about what you would ask if you were going to ask a question is a good way to focus your response to the lecture.

Once you've done this a few times, start asking your questions.