Featured Post

Anxious gatekeeping

Analogous to nervous cluelessness is something we might call “anxious gatekeeping.”   This is desire to police the borders of poetry, or of...

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Why

If I am feeling especially, nervous, why do I drink more coffee as a coping mechanism? In other words, I feel myself getting stressed and then drink coffee in order to rise to the occasion. Logically, I should not do this, yet I do. I also do other kinds of stress-inducing activities in order to displace the object of my stress onto something else. For example, I will do a sudoku puzzle or being to worry about a trivial thing. Is this a form of OCD, maybe?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

No, it's just a common maladaptation - one loves one's poison. It would seem a good idea to displace the stress so that the real project can become stress free but in the end this just sucks energy/focus.