Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Thursday, March 2, 2023

DEI training

 I took the DEI training today. It was mostly bland, inoffensive, and well-intentioned. There were a few instances of compelled speech, where you had to guess correctly the answer they wanted you to have. The guessing is pretty easy.  The little scenarios seemed contrived to be both obvious and fairly inoffensive. There were little trigger warning [content warnings], etc... It was the product of a private consultant, that comes up with these trainings for large institutions:  Vector Solutions.

3 comments:

Leslie B. said...

The current sexual harassment and Title IX one we have is actually instructive -- it showed me that much of what I go through at work qualifies as abuse / harassment. I've never not had to deal with such things so I did not know ... in real life the fact that these things happen is considered the responsibility of the victim.

Jonathan said...

Right, so the training can be spot on, while the actual culture of the workplace does not reflect the little Sunday school world of the training in the least. I had a colleague leave our department and get transferred to another, yet everyone in my department professes allegiance to all the DEI principles while continuing to bad mouth her. (Others have left in the past too, for other places).

Leslie B. said...

Yes, and the time we had to go through special DEI training, all of us, because some were accused of racism, the training consisted of a video showing why the oppressed should have a beer with people *who want to kill them* and work it out. Like a graduate student who feels they are suffering racial discrimination from professors should ask them to have a beer off campus to work it out.