Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Obsession

 That peculiar American obsession with prosody does not appear in Spain in the same way. Creeley has been translated into Spanish, but I'm not sure it can be appreciated in translation. There is just something too specific to a particular poetic culture. Not even in the UK, I believe, is his prosody intelligible. I remember Thom Gunn in a poetry workshop reading aloud a poem by Williams, and me thinking at the time he didn't now "how it went." I would tend to put an accent on the first preposition:

BY the road to the contagious hospital 

UNder the surge of the blue 

and then put a pause after the word blue, rather than saying "blue mottled clouds" without a pause, as Gunn did (I think).  Of course, I also think Williams reads his own poetry "wrong," so let's take that with a grain of salt. 

The obsession with prosody comes from Williams, Zukofksy and the objectivists, and then Olson, Creeley, and Levertov, Cid Corman, and other poets of that ilk. The New York school did not obsess over prosody like that. The beats had a longer line, usually, and emulated Whitman (though not exactly). 

No comments: