Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Hand speed

 I'm doing a thing where I play one metronome tick a day more than the previous day, while playing triplets and 16ths over chord changes to Autumn Leaves. So I am at 118, and so the triplets are going by at 354, and sixteenth notes at 472.  I'm going to have to slow down the sixteenths and start over at about 100, because they aren't well controlled.  The idea is to gradually increase finger speed, but also mental speed, since you have to be able to decide what to play as well as moving your fingers.  At lower speeds, I would find myself jumping ahead of the metronome, but now the triplets feel like they are a nice velocity. The ideal is to be locked in and relaxed. If I get up to the high 100s, then I will be at 500-600 notes per second--and beyond. It is not just to be fast, but to be clean and articulate at whatever the tempo is.  [I got this exercise from a video by Dave Frank.]  

I'm also learning Waltz for Debbie off a transcription I purchased. This is practice for voicing, or playing different voices at the same time or alternating with various degrees of touch.  Extraordinarily challenging.  

No comments: