Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, March 20, 2023

Sabbatical and frame lock

 My first time up for a sabbatical at my present institution.  I was a bit burnt out and wrote a sabbatical application in which I said that I needed to emerge from my "frame lock," a term I took from language poet Charles Bernstein. I needed, basically, to reframe my mind and get it out of conventional academic patterns of thought. 

The department chair ranked my application below that of a colleague, with a more normal sabbatical application, you know, with a project she wanted to do. I agree with his ranking, in fact. I didn't get the sabbatical. Even if would be desirable to allow people to use a sabbatical to recuperate mental health, it is completely correct to give it to a more worthy project.  

No comments: