Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, March 13, 2023

Productivity

 Being a productivity guru does not exempt one from the difficulties. I have had (apparent) lags in my CV. 

I say apparent because if I look back to the fallow years, they are almost insignificant in relation to the overall trajectory. Usually, it meant that was working on a larger project, that eventually did come out, and neglecting to publish a lot of individual articles. Also, in a longer time frame, five years seems short, whereas for someone on the tenure clock, this is a short time to get one's act together.  

My cv looks like someone who does nothing for a while, then has a burst of energy and publishes a shitload. But shouldn't that be a normal pattern? We are always reading and thinking, but some projects require a longer time to reach maturation.   

Then, the flaw is not in me, but in the expectation of continual "productivity." We need to see a lot of productivity at the beginning, for tenure purposes.   

I just looked it up, and my PTR was in 2015-16, so my second Lorca book was after that.  

***

The problem is not time, it is energy and concentration. Of course, it is often time as well, because hours of energy and concentration are limited.     

No comments: