Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Saturday, March 18, 2023

enjambed

 That particular form of enjambed free verse with short lines, as in WCW or Creeley, doesn't exist in Spanish in a very prominent way: 

As the cat

climbed over

the top of 


the jamcloset...  

The usual forms of free verse in Spanish are long, endstopped lines combining traditional forms of seven, eleven and fourteen syllables. There is also a free verse with short lines, but with mostly end-stopped lines.  


3 comments:

Phaedrus said...

Jonathan, Can you point me to a couple of Spanish poets who write free verse this way?

Jonathan said...

Lola Velasco, Pedro Salinas

Phaedrus said...

Thank you, Jonathan!

I see you have chapters on these poets - in books, for some reason, I seem not to have in my library (need to correct that). I am looking forward to reading their work - and your discussion of them.