Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Fortner

 I had been thinking that serialist composers were less interested in Lorca than those in the more French / Spanish camp, like Ohana. But maybe that is not true. There are Nono and Fortner, and Maderna, too... 

A thesis about the use of atonal music for Lorca: it lends a certain tragic austerity, moving away from the folkloric, even when it incorporates folkloric music in a surreptitious way. Anyway, to a non-musicologist, the modernists who aren't serialists still sound more or less atonal.  

***

I found out the Coltrane's "Olé" uses the melody from "El vito," a song associated with "Anda jaleo' in the song of the quinto regimiento.  

No comments: