Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Tenure Denial

 I don't really get the Cornel West thing at all. Why would you go to Harvard without tenure in the first place if you are Cornel West? He apparently did that in 2016. They are offering him a 10 year contract, and he is around retirement age already. I don't understand, either, why Harvard is not offering tenure to someone who is of that stature. I'm not particularly a fan of his, but there is something we are not being told here. 





3 comments:

Leslie B. said...

Right, and I wonder what it is. You know he travels with a valet, right? I find him pretentious and increasingly vapid.

Why does he want tenure all of a sudden, is one of my questions. I don't think people who are in a position to have it should take jobs without it, it sets a terrible precedent for everyone, so the fact that he didn't think about this when he was hired only shows how unsolidary he is.

My not applying for promotion is problematic. I'm too traumatized, that's why I don't, but on the other hand, I shouldn't be allowing them to non-promote women by just accepting their attitude. It's bad for women generally.

Leslie B. said...

P.S. He hasn't been denied tenure, he's asked to have his line turned into a tenurable one, so that he CAN apply for tenure.

Of course, Harvard could do that, but if I were in charge I would have to think through the implications. What about turning ALL contract lines into tenure eligible lines? Why his only? Against whom would I be discriminating if I did this for only him?

Jonathan said...

Thank you! It is so frustrating to see this cast as a tenure denial which is having him threatening to leave Harvard. Usually, not having tenure means you have to leave. I agree that he is insufferably self-important. His writing consists mostly of posturing.