Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Sunday, August 20, 2023

Abduction

 People being abducted by aliens... I was thinking of this the other day: the idea depends on familiarity with a literary genre, science fiction. That is the only thing that makes the concept intelligible. What I mean is, there are no alien abductions in medieval times. It has to be in fiction first, and the fiction has to extrapolate from existing technology to other forms of technology not yet existent. 

 Suppose, now that alien abductions are real. Then they probably would have occurred in ancient or medieval times as well, but there was no language to conceptualize what was happening. It would be Zeus snatching up somebody and making them a constellation in the sky, or some other explanation consonant with a particular world view. 


No comments: