Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, February 14, 2022

Bright Star

 I saw a film about John Keats. Of course, we have to have some scenes of poetry writing, a very un-cinematic activity.  We have Keats writing and hear his voice intone some of his most famous lines, or Fanny walking through a garden and reciting lines from Keats. It's not that film cannot use poetic language effectively, in a variety of ways, but I feel that this is not an effective way. The lines are already too familiar. Seeing Keats listen to a Nightingale and then come up with "My heart aches..." just doesn't seem to work. 

Usually a drastically effective writing scene has to involve frustration, the writer ripping sheets of paper out of a type writer and tearing them up and throwing them in the waste paper basket. That seems to be the favored trope. 

I saw "Frida" again, and there were scenes of painting. That works a little better. Hayek looks enough like Kahlo to make it work, and manages to alternate between glamour and bodily decline, to offer the best of two worlds. A glamour role and one that allows for a large area of physical and mental pain.  

No comments: