Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

3

 3. Reading a Spanish poet, Olvido García Valdés, I begin to notice her pronounced interest in the prosody of overheard speech. I begin to collect my own examples. In an ordinary situation that does not seem to require it, a person is being too emphatic in their speech prosody. They are theatricalizing an experience that is seemingly banal (or perhaps there is a hidden agenda?). There is a disparity in the situation and the style of speech being used. Or a person is stating opinions very confidently about things that essentially unknowable, or desperately wants your agreement about something that is ultimately of no consequence to either of you. I can listen with interest to these events without even caring about what is being said.  

No comments: